Mold spores, invisible to the naked eye, can be found everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Spores make their way into a building either through the air or after attaching to objects or people. Open windows, doorways and ventilation systems are all gateways through which spores can enter. Clothing, shoes and pets can all facilitate the arrival of mold within a building.
Mold will only grow if spores land somewhere that has the ideal conditions for growing - places with excessive moisture and a supply of suitable nutrients. If this does not happen, molds do not normally cause any problem at all.
Mold growth is usually noticeable - it is usually visible and often produces a musty odor. Mold can often be found in areas where leakages and flooding have occurred and near windows where condensation builds up. Wet cellulose materials are most supportive of mold growth, including paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles and wood products. Wallpaper, insulation materials and upholstery are other typical launchpads for mold growth.
Breathing in elevated levels of air borne fungi can cause an allergic or toxic response and occasionally infection in an otherwise healthy individual. Those who have a weakened immune systems and live in an indoor environment with high levels of fungi are of particular concern. Infants, young children, the immune compromised, and the elderly are at an increased risk for experiencing adverse health effects related to mold exposure.
Do you suffer from sinus problems? According to a study by the Mayo Clinic, "An estimated 37 million people suffer from chronic sinusitis... Our studies indicate that, in fact, fungus is likely the cause of all of these problems."
There are several ways that we test for mold in the Houston TX Area homes and commercial buildings:
If you or someone you know suspects that they may have mold in their home or place of business in the Houston TX area, College Station and the entire Brazos Valley TX, Katy TX, and the Humble & Kingwood TX area, call us at 713-890-2003.